Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Injustices


Has anyone ever watched Dateline, 20/20 or one of the other televised newscasts that always sucks you into watching 50 minutes instead of the 5 you originally intended? No matter how disinterested in the story I am at first, I always find something compelling about it in the end. And, low and behold, within 20 minutes, I am more than likely in tears.

I have a hard time with life. In fact, more times than not I question what goes on in our world and find myself deeply distraught. I choose to listen to NPR all day, when I know I should listen to something easy...mindless. Inevitably, I am wrapped up into one of the world's many problems. Tragedy in Darfur, Russian journalists being prosecuted, suicide bombers in Iraq. These problems rock me to my core...bother me to the point that I cannot concentrate and usually end up in a tied up mess of nerves.

Three years ago I became totally, 100% selflessly engrossed into the Eric Volz story. I would dream of making a crusading trip down to Nicaragua to show him my unending support. I would write him letters encouraging him to stay strong and telling him that justice would prevail.

But did justice prevail? In this case, yes. What really bothers me though is how easy it is to forget about the world's wronged. I know this is deep stuff but seriously, we hear about tragedies in far off countries and forget them as soon as the radio or tv goes off.

So what can we do? Well I can tell you what I do.

I have a big secret. Huge actually. Behind my family and boyfriend's back I take weekly trips to taste the forbidden fruit. Sensing fear in my mom's voice every time I talk about going, I ultimately decided to start sneaking out...so reminiscent of my teenage days.

Weekly, I secretly go to PAWS and will tell no one. I know what they all think. She'll come home with one. My pushover heart will collapse in the wake of big brown eyes staring a hole right through me. I can't blame them for thinking this, though. While watching my favorite reality tv on Bravo, I caved to the ASPCA commercial (ugh, that Sarah McLaughlin) and called to donate for what most likely will be eternity. I could never take away my precious donation from dogs in need! I also have been endlessly emailing permanent adoption facilities about a disabled dog I met in PAWS one day.

I know some people may think that loving or helping dogs is not adequately addressing the world's injustices, but for me this is my tangible way to make a difference. Every time I see a dog running around without an owner in sight, I stop, hoping to find an owner or bring some type of hope or solace for that dog.

So call me a crusader, zealot or champion of the dog, but I'm just out to curb the injustice that I can. Have you picked up a cause? If not, start going to PAWS or another no-kill shelter and I'm sure you'll think of something.

0 comments:

Post a Comment