Friday, February 19, 2010

It looks just like the sun



I experienced something today that I have never experienced before. It took me by complete surprise. Usually driving through the city is like maneuvering through an obstacle course. This unpredictable course is littered with foul mouthed speeders, perpetual crawling turtles (either from out of town or elderly) and Chicago newspaper vendors that decided it was their duty to stand smack dab in the middle of racing traffic.

I practice my best yoga breathing before I leave to go on the road. Each morning I take three deep stomach breaths. One breath...I will not be bothered by those that will cut me off today. Second breath...I will not get annoyed by drivers that clearly should not have passed their driver's test. Last breath...I will not be tempted to slam on my brakes when a car is tailgating me.

OK, I was ready to brave the most dissident and reckless environment in the world (or at least my world) - the City of Chicago roadways. Despite my best relaxation efforts though, I almost always end up swearing off driving by the end of the day.

So today began with my typical ritual and I left my house ready to brave another gray day. However, today was different. As I appeared outside from under the cover of stale heat and gloomy fluorescent lighting, I saw a perfectly clear blue sky. This is not something us Chicagoans are usually privy to. No clouds, no slush. The omnipresent sun beamed adoringly on us as it melted away all the gray darkness.

I knew immediately that today was going to be different.

All morning I was greeted by people giving me the right of way, smiling as they stopped at stoplights and driving more like my mother than Mario Andretti. I could not believe my eyes. Today might be one of the only days for the past four months that I didn't disdain every moving vehicle. The glorious sun had erased the city harshness that you get so used to adapting to as a coat of survival.

With my new sunny outlook on life, I went on my usual dog stops. To the dogs, though, this was just another day. Sunny or dark, arctic temperatures or tropical climate, my dogs all enjoyed life equally every day. I was somewhat jealous of them. Being in Chicago for 5+ years, I was beginning to think I suffered from seasonal depression.
On winter days, I would ruminate for hours about why I lived here and would fantasize about other places that sounded so much more appealing...you could lather on tanning oil, wear sunglasses on a daily basis and complain when it hit below 60.

But dogs have a way of slapping you back into reality. They were obviously not bothered by this weather, so why should I be? I am here, with them and that is a blessing in itself. I liked this simpler way of thinking.

So for now on, I am going to approach dejected winter days with a kinder heart. I will drop the melancholy attitude and appreciate what is beautiful about winter. I will drive with a shred of sanity and ignore other drivers. That will be my creed.

But for the time being that will have to wait...until I get back from my Caribbean vacation, because even dogs need some time in the sun once in awhile.

0 comments:

Post a Comment