Thursday, March 18, 2010

Album of the Year


Rewind seven years ago and you'll see me in the height of my college days. My aspirations before politics and dogs all were syphoned down to one thing - music. I was convinced that I was meant for a career in music.

Signal my ridiculous 1-year guitar class and worthless purchase of a guitar. After 6 months, it became painfully obvious that I was not destined for a life of guitar strumming and rock n' roll. My guitar teacher at the time let me down softly saying, "Kid, this just may not be your thing. You ever think of the piano?"

Enter my radio DJ career. OK, this is laughable. I had the genius idea of starting to work on our college radio station working as a DJ on a show I liked to call "Acid Jazz." I am seriously embarrassed to write that. After I found out that the radio station reached about 75 people a day, I quickly became bored talking to myself on air. I used to do shoot outs to friends in neighboring dorms but when I asked them if they heard me, there was always an awkward silence followed by a change of subject. So, OK, maybe I wasn't meant to be DJ Jazzy Lauren but I was still convinced that music was where I had to be.

Last ditch effort and definitely my most genius, create a UD Concert Board! Our musical scene on campus was bleak at best. So I did my research and created a concert board that would trump everything we had at UD (not that that would be too hard to do since the only music was my DJ spinning and the on-campus band Ducksauce - enough said). The first day back to school my eyes shone. They were filled with promise and hope. Maybe I had found my musical career after all! I set about bringing people on staff but the board fizzled out as my recruiting efforts were focused on attractive single guys instead of experience, ugh.

After exhausting all my options, I was depressed. What was I supposed to do if I couldn't live a life of rock n' roll? One year later my friend Aaron introduced me to The Good Life's "Album of the Year." For a week straight, I spent every attainable hour crying at the beauty of the music, scrupulously over analyzing every word, every poetic lyric. I became the dreaded "emo" overnight. But more importantly, I realized that my greatest contribution to music could be just to admire, observe and adore it.

Now everyday I wake up and hum a song to myself, carefully selecting my life theme song for the day. It got me to thinking, though, that my song always changes tune when I am with each of my dogs. So I decided that I am going to share something very special with you - my doggy play list.

Dog #1 - "Respect": Aretha Franklin. This dog is a diva and I love it!!
Dog #2 - "Layla": Eric Clapton. She's such a doll..I'm sure the boy dogs would do anything for her:)
Dog #3 - "Purple Haze": Jimmy Hendrix. This guy is as crazy and awesome as this song is! No frills.
Dog #4 - "Three Little Birds": Bob Marley. Definitely the chillest dog I know. He lets everything roll off his back.
Dog #5 - "Can't Stand It": Wilco. Everything is melodrama with this guy.
Dog #6 - "I'm Every Woman": I wish I could have as much confidence as this girl! She struts her stuff when she walks.
Dog #7 - "Bad Boys": Inner Circle. Very naughty dog.
Dog #8 - "I Will Always Love You": Whitney Houston. For my favorite MAN in the world


Two things are absolutes in my life - music and dogs. And both make me feel pretty darn good.

0 comments:

Post a Comment