Thursday, March 25, 2010

We Need To Talk

Lauren - "Dad, can I talk to you?"

Dad - "Sure, Lauren. What's on your mind?"

Lauren - "Well, I've been thinking about a career change."

Dad - "OK, what arena were you thinking about moving into? Would you work for a politician or go into mediation like we were talking about?"

Lauren - "Ummm, not exactly. I was thinking of opening my own business."

Dad - "That's great. I think opening up a consultancy would be good for you. You could take some clients with you, right?"

Lauren - "Well, that's not exactly the type of business I wanted to open."

Dad - "What then? PR, legal?

Lauren - "I want to open up my own dog walking business."

Dad - "Have you lost your mind??"

Lauren - "Yea, I think I just may have..."


This conversation was followed by similar, futile dialogues and months of anxiety ridden days. There where weeks where I would avoid phone calls from my father. I had let him down. A bright, promising career in strategic communications and I decided to leave all of that to become a glorified pooper scooper.

My whole life, I had a fear of disappointing my parents. I was no stranger to grounding and the agonizing "we're disappointed in your actions" talk. I tried to get away with the usual teenage mischief but for some reason I always failed miserably at not getting caught. Some ridiculous mishap would end up doing me in.

My hippie wannabe years didn't impress my parents too much either. They couldn't figure out why I chose not to shower and wanted to make my own clothing. Luckily, I saw a young couple with two babies selling grilled cheese at a Phish show trying to get enough money to go to their next show. Instantaneously, I realized that being a hippie was no longer a desirable future career path. That night I quickly put a comb through my hair and took a scalding 30-minute shower. No more nomad for me.

I have to admit, though, I doubted myself for a long time. Was I going to be a failure with this company just like I failed at being a hippie? On the eve of my 5-year college reunion, would I have to tell people that I was "in transition" or "trying to find myself"? No...I had too much pride for that. If anything, I would work until my business thrived just so I could avoid this inconvenient question and response.

It's always difficult to go into something blind. No matter how you say it, I really had no idea what I was doing when I started my own business. I spent endless hours on the phone with abysmal bureaucratic state agencies. Who knew it took more than 6 departments to form an LLC! After navigating this labyrinth, I begun the legal, insurance and painful tax process.

I soon realized that the saying "money begets money" should be a warning tattooed on all new entrepreneur initiation packets.

Debt has a way of instilling the fear of death in you. If I was not successful, I would be broke. Or even worse, I would have to go back to a desk job.

For the next 6 months while forming my company, Debt lingered over my head. New insurance? Hello Debt. Cool web site? My good friend Debt became attached to my hip. I couldn't get rid of him now.

I became aware that the only way my buddy Debt would disappear was if I abandoned all online shopping and started busting my butt getting clients. I have to say that getting the clients was far more enjoyable then quitting the shopping.

I still might not be rich, but I can proudly say that I am not a failure. I get questions from people all the time, "How did you do it? You just quit your job and decided to start this? You didn't have another job as a safety net?"

My answer always is, "No." No safety nets or promises. Just a whole lot of fear and hope. I never thought I would be here. Maybe it's not as prestigious as a PR consultancy, but I own my OWN pet care business and I'm proud of it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment