Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Country



I was never meant to live in the country. When I grew up, I dreamt of city lights and bustling passerbys. The only passerbys I witnessed in the country were either cows or deer. This just didn't do it for me.

I think I knew I would move to a city when I was ten. My mom used to ask me where I wanted to live when I got older and I would describe a penthouse on Michigan Avenue.

Obviously, I was a savvy kid. I knew what I wanted and it was not being 2 miles away from any type of civilization.

For a good 15 years though, I think my parents were in denial. They thought as I matured and the years passed, I would eventually end up back in Wisconsin...my heart yearning for the serenity and goodness that the state provides.

Instead, I ended up becoming more immersed in the city vision. Maybe it's the whole Sex and the City persona you adopt in college when watching entirely way too many episodes and dreaming about independence. Whatever it was, I knew I was destined for urban life.

In my dream city now, I take solace in the chaos. I would hands down rather be lulled by the sound of speeding cars than pestering, chirping birds. In fact, when I go back to Wisconsin I bring ear plugs specifically for the purpose of drowning out this doldrum.

I really wonder, though, if a city is the best environment you can raise your dog in. I always notice that my dog seems a million times happier when he is in Wisconsin. He is at home with the 500 species that live right outside his front door and takes comfort in being able to kick up actual grass rather than stones.

Have you ever thought that maybe your dog is talking to other animals outside? I've seen those You Tube episodes where dogs become best friends with birds or even stranger, 500 pound bears. Maybe it's because they all have some universal carnal language. Whatever the case, they bond and seem entirely way too happy to be coexisting together.

When my parent's dog comes to the city, he goes into shock. I am always tempted to go knock on my neighbors door and tell them not to judge me. It is guaranteed that he will bark at everyone he trots by, will lunge as he gets out of the elevator, ready to take on the thin air, and howl as he walks outside - a warning signal to anything non-animal approaching.

He is never happy about coming to the city. The various things I love like the gated in parks and people filling the streets, do not amuse or liken him to Chicago. After the first hour here, he usually goes into fits of anxiety and exhausts himself.

So was Milo right? Was it unnatural to have dogs in the city? I guess it may not be the best place where a dog reflects on his primitive nature, but it is certainly filled with a million dog lovers. You can shop with your dog, eat with your dog, go to do playgrounds and bring your dog to work. In my world, this seems like some pretty cool doggy opportunities. So maybe it's wise to let your dog have the best of both worlds. He now can hang out in his city apartment or travel to his country home. Not too bad of a life for a dog.

0 comments:

Post a Comment