Tuesday, April 20, 2010

What to choose



Each morning when I wake up I decide what to pack for lunch. Should I have an everything bagel with veggie cream cheese? Or what about a delicious Genoa salami sandwich? If I don't prepare myself for this choice, I usually stand in front of my refridgerator for a good 20 minutes staring aimlessly. Then I finally make my decision - painfully. Salami sandwich it is.

But for the rest of the day I am dreaming of a veggie bagel, ugh.

I am deluged by options. I wish that someone could reach inside my brain, analyze all choices and relegate for me. The craziest part is that people seem content with a million stimuli and options.

I once asked a waiter for my hamburger to be done "medium OK" because I couldn't make a decision between it being done medium or medium well. Without even looking up from his pad, he smiled and sad he would put the order right in. No strange looks or questions. I think people are now hardwired to think that this is normal.

This past weekend, my boyfriend's mom told me that whenever he comes home, it's never just them hanging out. It's mom, Mark and his Apple. Why just pain yourself paying attention to your mother when you can pay attention to your mom, surf sports on your BlackBerry and read the news on your computer, all at once!

I'm not saying I don't this, because I most certainly do. But I sometimes wish I lived in the dog world where things were much simpler.

Wake up and your choice for breakfast is????? Dog food. The same dog food you've eaten for the past 7 years of your life.

What to drink? H2O. What to do all day? Sleep and smell.

I love getting psyched up to take my dog on field trips. I think it is part of my job as a pet owner to provide him with weekly adventures. Our most recent excursion was chuck-it in the park, then a walk to the nursery and then to Wiggley Field. After all this excitement, I was expecting him to come home and jump on my lap in praise.

Not so much. Instead of cloaking me in thanks, he went to the bathroom to lay down on the cold tile.

Trying not to be offended, I realized that all of these doggy pleasures don't mean much to him. He's content being home relaxing with his favorite person - muah.

Recently, I've been trying to conduct weekly experiments. I come home, try not to sprint to my tv or Ipod, or run to grab my laptop. Instead I make a cup of tea, meditate and look around my house thinking of new decorating ideas. I try to take one task at a time, not being bogged down by too many options or forms of technology to distract me.

But one thing I will still continue to take pleasure in is watching Animal Planet while petting my dog and dreaming about a new puppy. Why have one dog, when there are a million more out there to meet!

1 comments:

Kate B said...

You're fantastic and spot on! We could all benefit from a few less distractions and more good scratches behind the ears. Enjoy what's in front of us for what it is and when that's over...move on to the next chewie toy or game of fetch. Or as you put it, laying on the cold tile. Love it!

Post a Comment