Thursday, January 7, 2010

Let the journey begin...

I have always loved dogs. When I was 2, my mom told me that I peered outside intently and pointed at a dog and uttered "dudden." This was my intuitive way of identifying a creature that would, unbeknownst to me, bring me so much joy, sadness, laughter and lessons.

I can imagine that this was not exactly what my parents wanted my first word to be. Most first words are "momma, daddy, nonna...". The names of people most important to you. But I am not surprised this was my first word. I'd like to think that I was smarter than the average 2 year old and knew the very importance of dogs.

I was never a "normal" kid. I used to lock myself in a closet for 6 hours at a time and play Barbies by myself. I always found amusement and intrigue with the simple things and always found in enjoyment being by myself. As I got older we got my first dog, Harley (Harley, or the devil reincarnate, will be explained more in other posts), and I knew that I finally met my soulmate. I could babble on for hours to him and he said nothing. He layed lovingly next to me while I played Barbies and longed to be by myself. He was the perfect companion.

So, "dudden" seems to only be a fitting first word for me.

When I was 27 years old, I had the typical quarter life crisis. Hating my job and being diagnosed with a serious health concern, I am here now - savoring dog time for my career.

I threw the idea back and forth about blogging but it always seemed like an egotistical thing to do. I mean, you are basically saying that someone actually gives a crap about what you think and write!! At 28 years old wise, I knew better than that. Plus, my writing prowess was anything but stellar. But through my journey with my dog and the dogs that I see everyday, I felt an urge to tell the world what these amazing creatures were whispering to me. Lessons and stories everyone could benefit from. So alas! Here I am, writing to what I presume is no one. But the solidarity I loved when I was young, I can feel again in cyberspace...on my blog. So each day I will be here - sprawled on my couch, by myself but with the world's best companion typing nonsense that I hope you enjoy. At the very least, I hope you are entertained.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Lauren, this is such a great post. I just added you to my list of blogs to read and can't wait to hear more.

Kat said...

awwww, you are special. I like to be alone too....maybe that is why we are still friends huh? hahahaaaa!!! YEAA FOR LONERS.

And I have to say, after a day in the life of the new and improved Lauren Pietrocarlo I have a growing obsession with dogs myself. So thank you for opening my eyes, and blogging about what you love.

ps. I saw a dog show the other day....the little dog was named "GUIDO" !! I laughed so hard thinking of you and your soon to be guido.

Anonymous said...

Lauren, I love this! I am going to read your blog everyday - your writing is beautiful and tells a story so well. I'm very excited about this new daily read for me - simply billed to #0010 JT.. ha! Thanks so much for this.

Post a Comment